Thursday 16 January 2014

My Favourite Books

I first started to love reading when I was pretty young and I used to read loads of books all the time, as I have gotten older I've found less time to read but I still love sitting down to a good read when I can. Here's a few of my favourite books (I'm not very good at summarising books so I'll be using the help of the WHSmith website):

1) Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

I looked on the WHSmith website for a summary of Birdsong and it said:

Set before and during the great war, Birdsong captures the drama of that era on both a national and personal scale. It is the story of Stephen, a young Englishman, who arrives in Amiens in 1910. Over the course of the novel he suffers a series of traumatic experiences, from the clandestine love affair that tears apart the family with whom he lives, to the unprecedented experiences of the war itself.'

Birdsong is a book I read a couple of years ago and fell in love with it, it is really interesting to read and although it is quite long it doesn't ever get boring. I would recommend it to anyone looking for something not too light to read.



2) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon

I think The Curious Incident is a fantastic book, I had a look on the WHSmith website and this is what it said:

'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's Syndrome. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.'

I think that is a pretty good summary of this book, it is a really interesting read that I would really recommend. 



3) Room by Emma Donoghue 

I read Room for the first time last summer while I was in Croatia and I couldn't put it down, the WHSmith website says:

'Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don't have the key. Jack and Ma are prisoners.'

It is a bit of a heavier read but it is not really written in a heavy way as it is from the point of view of a five year old.  And similarly to the other books I would highly recommend it to anyone.




Lily x

No comments:

Post a Comment